Putnam County Board of REALTORS
Minutes April 2021 of the April 1, 2021 Board meeting
The meeting was held at the Olde Union BBQ.
My Gilley, Lezley Wass, Traci Dobson, Sue McCune, Gina Carter, Chris Skillern, Elizabeth Kienzynski, Jana Sillery, Deena Kochvar, Diane Ummel. Absent: Rolynn Ramirez.
The meeting was called to order at 11:00 by President My Gilley.
Secretary’s report -presented by Diane, motion by Sue to approve, seconded by Gina; unanimously approved. The approved Minutes will now be posted to the website for all members to view. (Note: In March Traci stepped down as Secretary, but continues to serve as a Director of the Board.)
Treasurer’s report – presented Sue, and approved subject to audit. Sue also presented the bills to be paid. Motion to approve payment by Jana, seconded by Lezley; unanimously approved. March ending checking balance $26,185 and charity account $775.
Executive Officer’s report
- GCSC requested a donation to their staff appreciation event. Jana made a motion to donate 2 tickets and $5 concessions to our next bingo event (the same as in the past). Seconded by Sue; unanimously approved.
- Diane contact 2 shred companies and presented the options to the board. Jana made a motion to go with ProShred, using the larger truck, at $200/hr for a two hour event on June 12, 2021 at the Putnam County Fairgrounds. Seconded by Liz; unanimously approved.
President’s report –
- My reported that Sidney Tongret was no longer able to serve as our Board attorney. Following our Operating Procedures, nominations for a new board attorney were opened to the Board. Lezley made a motion to appoint Scott Bieniek, seconded by Chris; unanimously approved. Bieniek has agreed to serve in this role, and does not require a retainer. (Having an attorney of record is required by the National Association of REALTORS as a condition of our charter and affiliation.) The operating procedures will be updated to reflect this change.
- My also reminded the Board that each Board member is the face of the local association (both other realtors and our affiliates). She asked each board member to be respectful in turning off cell phones during meetings and setting aside 2 hours per month for the good of the local association to conduct our monthly board meeting and membership event.
- My also noted that the next Gleaners Food Distribution would be 4/8 from 9:30-12.
- Scholarship (Lezley) – The committee met on 3/30 to review the 17 applications received. (There were at least 3 from every school.) Using the application criteria and supporting documents the committee of 5 reviewed all of the qualified applicants and scored each. The results were compiled and a winner and alternate from each school were selected. Lezley is forwarding the appropriate paperwork on the Foundation for final review and approval. Award winners will be announced as per each school’s guidelines.
- Awards (Jana) – The Award committee met to discuss changes to program and/or criteria. The committee questioned the goal and value of the award. They suggested that we get member feedback on whether to continue with awarding a REALTOR and Affiliate of the Year, and if so, how the award winner should be determined. Sue made a motion to survey the membership, seconded by Gina; unanimously approved. Jana and Diane will put together a survey to go out to members by April 15th.
- Bingo (Diane) – The licensing commission will no longer waive amendment fees due to COVID. In order to process our date change from April to November we are required to mail in our amendment request, along with a $25 fee. Sue made a motion to approve, seconded by Jana; unanimously approved.
- Education (Liz) – No report
- Finance (Sue) – No report
- Government (Deena) – No report
- Marketing (My/Traci) –
- Professional Standards (My) – While not new, fair housing is a hot topic this year. Everyone should educate themselves on what can/can’t be used in descriptions for advertising. A handout and recommended NAR videos for member viewing will be emailed out after the meeting to all members.
Next Meeting – May 6th at the Dixie Chopper Business Center
Board meeting 11:00.
Membership lunch begins at 11:30, sponsored by Cassie Zentko of Neighborlead Realty.
Business meeting and program beginning at noon with guest speaker – Beau Baird.
Meeting adjourned at 11:27 (motion by Jana, second by Lezley; unanimously approved.)
Diane Ummel, Executive Officer
Putnam County Board of REALTORS®
Minutes of the April 1, 2021 Membership meeting
The meeting was held at the Olde Union BBQ.
My Gilley greeted all attendees and challenged them with a baseball themed trivia contest (since it’s opening day of baseball!) Jack Mace was the winner and received a gift certificate to a local establishment.
My Gilley introduced our guests from Bailey & Wood Financial – Bart Beach and Eric Lyon They shared with the group about the B&W Home Town Hero program, where qualified individuals can receive up to $500 towards closing costs or pre-paid expenses. They also talked about issues that may cause realtors to see a slow down in the closing process.
Secretary report – Diane gave a brief report and reminded the group that once approved, the prior months minutes are posted to our website for member viewing.
Treasurer report – Sue presented the new bills to be approved for payment (ProShred, EO, and Indiana Gaming Commission). She also read the ending balances in our accounts: Charity $775 and Main checking $26,185.
Executive Officer Report
- Core Standards – in order to maintain our affiliation with the National Association of REALTORS®, PCBR must annually certify that we meet the “core standards” of the National Association of REALTORS®. This process is completed by providing evidence of compliance in a number of areas, including: compliance to code of ethics, adherence to diversity, equity and inclusion guidelines, following fair housing practices, showing financial solvency and integrity, board leadership and education, and much more. Any member that would like to view this document may contact Diane.
- Shred Event – the board approved a 2 hour shred event to be held on Saturday, June 12, 2021 from 8:30-10:30 at the Putnam County 4H Fairgrounds. The event is free and open to anyone in the community. Donations will be accepted and will go to our scholarship fund. Abstract & Title will sponsor the event.
- Good Neighbor Program – NAR is highlighting local members or associations that are “good neighbors” in their communities. Diane encouraged members to share where and how they volunteer their time (include photos), so that she can post them on the NAR site. A reminder email will be sent to the membership.
- Volunteers are needed for the Gleaners food drive to be held on 4/8 from 9:30-12
- Attorney – Scott Bieniek has been approved by the Board as our attorney of record. He replaces Sidney Tongret.
- Coins for a Cause – Safe Haven Baby Box challenge was a success with almost $600 collected (one bucket is still out). Carpenter Realtors was the winning office. Thank you to everyone that participated in this great cause!
Committee Reports –
- Scholarship (Lezley) – The committee met on 3/30 to review the 17 applications received. A winner and alternate from each school were selected, pending final review and approval of the Foundation. Award winners will be announced as per each school’s guidelines.
- Awards (Jana) – The Award committee met to discuss changes to program and/or criteria. They suggested that we get member feedback on whether to continue with awarding a REALTOR and Affiliate of the Year, and if so, how the award winner should be determined. Jana and Diane will put together a survey to go out to members by April 15th.
- Professional Standards (My) – While not new, fair housing is a hot topic this year. Every member should educate themselves on the changes being implemented this year.
President My Gilley thanked everyone for attending the meeting and luncheon, and again thanked our sponsors – Bailey and Wood Financial Group.
She reminded the group that our next meeting will be on Thursday, May 6th. Location TBD. The meeting was adjourned at 12:27 pm.
Diane Ummel, Executive Officer